Bedre Defolie's research areas are applied microeconomic theory and industrial organization, with a focus on the contracts and pricing strategies of digital platforms, pricing, and variety choices of multiproduct firms, demand estimation in the payment card industry, and vertical relationships in business.
Digital platforms: Pricing, variety, and quality provision (DIPVAR)
Digital platforms publications
Working papers of DIPVAR:
- Hybrid platform model. (Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Simon Anderson 2021). CEPR Discussion Paper No. DP16243 *** watch paper presentation: full version and short version
- Variety provision of a multiproduct monopolist (Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Simon Anderson)
- Optimal variety and pricing of a trade platform (Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Simon Anderson)
- Platform competition for exclusivity with a marquee seller (Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Gary Biglaiser) *** watch paper presentation: full version
Selected digital platforms publications:
- Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Rainer Nitsche (2020). When do markets tip? An overview and some insights for policy. Journal of European Competition Law & Practice 11 (10): 610–622.
- Özlem Bedre-Defolie (2020). How do digital ecosystems defend their business?, in Ecosystems Inc.: Understanding, harnessing and developing organizational ecosystems, edited by Stuart Crainer, 25–29. Wargrave: Thinkers50.
- Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Linda Gratz (2015). Economics of payment cards, Konkurrensverket Working Paper 2015:1.
- Özlem Bedre-Defolie and Emilio Calvano (2013). Pricing payment cards, in American Economic Journal: Microeconomics 5 (3): 206–231.
All Özlem Bedre-Defolie's publications