Research lab & research staff members
The ESMT Research Lab is a primarily English speaking research laboratory, which provides a state of the art environment for research under controlled conditions and through online surveys. Our researchers conduct cutting edge research in business, marketing, psychology, and finance. Participants help to create knowledge that may influence how companies do businesses by participating in our studies. The lab is strictly for academic research.
Would you like to become a participant for our studies? We are always looking for new participants for our pool! Joining does not involve any costs or obligation. You will simply be informed of future studies by e-mail for which you may choose to participate or not.
What do I need to do?
By registering you offer your time and services to our researchers by providing your opinions, feelings, preferences, and thoughts to questions and situations they pose to you through either online surveys or on-campus experiments. In return you will be compensated for your participation.
Before each study you will be provided with a detailed description of what you will be asked to do. Here are a few examples of the types of questions you might be asked during a study:
— I would buy a product just because it has status? (True/False)
— I often compare myself with others with respect to what I have accomplished in life? (Scale from 1-5, 1 being "Completely Agree")
— How often do you buy product xyz?
The research lab is open to all ESMT researchers and students. When on-campus studies are not taking place, the lab will be used as a computer lab or quiet study room.
Please note the lab will not be available/have limited availability during the following dates.
- September 17–December, 2022: Quiet study room and computer lab for the MIM students.
- January 1–April 1, 2023: Quiet study room and computer lab for the MIM students.
The lab is maintained by our lab managers, who facilitate all policies and manage resources.
- Christopher Xitco joined ESMT Berlin in 2007 and is the director of research administration and is responsible for the administration of the lab.
- Lab manager office
- Breite Str. 1, 10178 Berlin (Mitte) in the administrative building, room 1.42.
- Hours: Monday (9:00–17:00) , Wednesday (9:00–13:30) , Thursday (9:00–12:00).
- On-campus lab
- Schlossplatz 1, 10178 Berlin (Mitte) in the Learning Center, room 30.12.
Your data is protected!
ESMT Berlin strictly follows the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Federal Data Protection Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz, BDSG). All information we receive from you will be kept strictly confidential and will be accessible to only authorized administrators. Your personal information will be kept indefinitely until a request for deletion is received and will under no circumstances be given out to third parties. Please see detailed information about data privacy here.
- Participants' responses will be completely anonymous and only used for research/academic purposes.
- Researchers will only have access to participants' responses; they will not be able to link responses to individuals.
Where are we...
Situated in the center of Berlin, we are located on museum island in the former GDR Staatsratsgebäude (State Council Building).
- The lab manager office is located in ESMT's administrative building, room 1.42 at Breite Str. 1, 10178 Berlin (Mitte).
- The on-campus lab is located in the Learning Center, room 3.17 at Schloßplatz 1, 10178 Berlin (Mitte).
Researchers and our research staff play an integral role at ESMT Berlin.
- Mert Callioglu (Research Associate for Tamer Boyaci)
- Mahmut Coskun (Research Associate for Guillermo Baquero)
- Sascha Czerwenka (IFEE)
- Viktor Jarotschkin (BTMC)
- Maximilian Köhler (Research Associate for Henry Sauermann)
- Willy Lefez* (Research Associate, Digital Platforms: Pricing, Variety and Quality Provision (DIPVAR) Project)
- Udayaraj Natarajan (Research Associate for Jörg Rocholl)
- Nate Jingze Niu* (Research Associate for Stefan Wagner)
- Arne Thomas* (Research Associate for Linus Dahlander)
- (Ally) Xin Lin (Research Associate for Per Olsson)
- Felix Degenhardt (RA for Jan Nimczik)
- Melike Demir (FRA, Research Department)
- Hai Anh Vu (RA for Linus Dahlander)
+We have many research assistants supporting our faculty. Above, we have only noted those with longer contracts. Additionally, we have a position, FRA-Faculty Research Assistants, who is available to the faculty on an ad hoc basis.